Health Care Professionals
The BC Centre for Vulvar Health offers different programs and services to adult women in British Columbia with chronic and complex vulvar disorders.
HOW TO REFER
If you would like to be seen at the BC Centre for Vulvar Health,
- Please discuss with your physician (G.P. or specialist), and have them fill out both pages of the referral form (pdf).
- Your doctor can then submit by email or fax at 604-875-5807.
Unfortunately due to a sudden increase in the number of referrals to the Centre this summer, we have filled all new patient referral assessment appointments in the Vulvar Disease Clinic and the Multidisciplinary Vulvodynia Program for the next 6 months. Please submit new referrals for these clinics after November 1, 2018.
Once we receive your referral, your doctor’s office will be sent an Acknowledgement fax.
- If the Acknowledgement fax is not received within a couple of days, it means we did not receive the referral. Please fax the referral again.
Once received in full, the referral will be reviewed.
- We will fax the results of the triaging process to your referring doctor.
- To facilitate the triage process, ensure that the correct referral form is filled out in full, and that all consults are sent accordingly.
Wait times: are different for each clinic but can range from 4-6 months.
- When wait times exceed 6 months for a new patient appointment, we will temporarily stop accepting new referrals for benign vulvar diseases. We will inform your office as to the date when we will begin accepting new referrals. Please note that alternative health care providers are listed at the bottom of this page.
- When we advise your doctor’s office of the triaging process, we will also indicate the approximate wait time.
When your name comes up on the waitlist, we will contact the patient directly to book the assessment appointment.
- Multidisciplinary Vulvodynia Program (MVP) – if you are on the wait list for the MVP, the Clinic Care Coordinator will also contact you prior to the assessment to describe the various components of 5-10 session program.
INCLUSION AND EXCLUSION CRITERIA FOR CLINICS
|Clinic||Inclusion (patients accepted)||Exclusion|
|Vulvar Disease Clinic||Women >16 years old with
||Women referred for
|Multi-disciplinary Vulvodynia Program||Women >18 years of age with >6 months of
|Vulvar Intra-epithelial Neoplasia (VIN) Follow up Clinic||Women >16 years of age with
||Women who have
|Vulvar Oncology Clinic||Women >16 years of age with
ALTERNATIVE HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS IN BC
For adult women with herpes, recurrent or complex vaginitis, consider a referral to the Infectious Disease Clinic at BC Women’s Hospital. http://www.bcwomens.ca/our-services/pregnancy-prenatal-care/complications-in-pregnancy/infectious-diseases-clinic
For young women (<18 years of age) and or girls consider a referral to a Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecologist. In Vancouver, patients can be referred to Dr. Debra Millar, Dr Ellen Giesbrecht, and/or Dr. Nicole Todd. See attached referral form.Paeds-Adolescent Gynaecology Referral 2017-06-15
For adult women with sexual concerns (including sexual pain) consider a referral to the BC Centre for Sexual Medicine. The Centre offers assessment and treatment of: difficulties with sexual interest, arousal and orgasm; experience of pain associated with sexual activities; problems in completing chosen sexual acts such as intercourse. http://psychiatry.vch.ca/bccsm.htm
For women with pelvic pain or deep dyspareunia consider a referral to the Centre for Pelvic Pain and Endometriosis at BC Women’s Hospital. The Centre offers an interdisciplinary approach to chronic pelvic pain that includes a combination of pain education workshops, pelvic floor physiotherapy, clinical counselling, medical management and surgery (including advanced excisional laparoscopic surgery). http://www.bcwomens.ca/our-services/gynecology/pelvic-pain-endometriosis/
(604) 875-5022 Physicians Press #2
6th Floor, Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre
2775 Laurel Street, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 1M9
|Monday – Thursday 8:00 – 3:30|
OUR CORE SERVICES